Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Postal Presents: ORBIT Organiser


Rationale:
I found inspiration for my design in the latitude and longitude lines seen on a 3D map of the world. The name "ORBIT" came from this notion of theses lines as things in orbit tend to follow these lines while in orbit around the earth. I know many people who are messy when it comes to my small belongings, always losing their keys, phones and jewelry. From this problem a need was established to create a small, aesthetically pleasing shelf that would be able to send as a gift in a conventional C4 envelope. The aesthetics were highly important in the design process because a gift has to be beautiful for the recipient to enjoy the pleasures that come with receiving a gift. I wanted something simple and neutral as shelves are usually filled with items of a variety of colours and shapes so it could easily become to cluttered. The final product is made from white acrylic, a strong, cheap and easy to manufacture. The assembly sheet is folded into eighths of a A3 Sheet to create a brochure style arrangement for easy readability.

The biggest problem I uncounted throughout the design process was how to attach it securely to a wall.... its not as easy as it seems! I experimented with folding brackets, hinges, backing slots, 3M tapes/hooks, however the only solution i found to work was a combination of two hinged pieces of acrylic with 3M removable tape on the back, this allowed it to be easily moved around the house, where ever it was needed.






Peer Comments:
Samuel Peter Whipp
Shan Shan Wang
Alfred Boyadgis
Emily Soares
Vivian Shao

6 comments:

  1. Nice!! I like the way it comes together making a good form. And i think acrylic is a perfect choice of material. The colour is also neutral for both men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nina,

    Being the one in class to put your postal present together, I thought it was very simple to assemble and it was interesting watching it come together. The shape is very interesting and almost resembles a wall light.

    To improve this product, I think you can design the slots so that they all slot in from either the top or bottom (instead of both) so that the user can pick it up. Also maybe a different material or even colour would really bring this alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplicity is great, and your solution of attaching it to the wall. It's easy to put together and im sure anyone would enjoy having it on their wall. One suggestion is to maybe secure the pieces together some how? Anyway well done Nina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea behind it but think that the slots are a little small and would cause some difficulty getting items like lipstick out of them.
    I like your solution to getting it mounted on the wall very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the concept, and I think the execution is perfect. The use of material is also suitable for this kind of product. What I really like is the simplicity of this product, and how it has great function as well.

    The only thing that I think could be improved is the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea Nina, something i sure would use in my room, especially when i constantly lose my keys and small objects in my room.
    Colour and Size would be my only criticism and would have love to have seen the radius of the horizontal and vertical shelves touching perfectly besides that Good work.

    ReplyDelete